2012年12月11日 星期二

diary of a wimpy kid 2

on the dot ---  exactly on time or at a particular time
 I'll be there on the dot.
So at 6:00 on the dot Dad came home, and of course he's in a great mood for some reason.

【PLAN】 [I]
AmE a plan that will fly will be successful and useful
 News is that the plan for the new hotel isn't going to fly .

That kind of thing doesn't fly these days.

for good --- permanently
 The injury may keep him out of football for good.
She'll take away my video games for good.

If you say that someone milks something, you mean that they get as much benefit or profit as they can from it, without caring about the effects this has on other people.
A few people tried to milk the insurance companies...
The callous couple milked money from a hospital charity to fund a lavish lifestyle.

informal to get as much money or as many advantages as you can from a situation, in a very determined and sometimes dishonest way
milk sb/sth for sth
 Their landlord regularly milks them for extra money by claiming for damage to his property.
 He seems to be milking the incident for all it's worth (=getting as much from it as possible) .

I've been milking the same book for the past five years.

A sleuth is a detective.

【WORRY】 [I] informal
to be anxious, nervous, or worried about something
 Let them sweat a bit before you tell them.

don't sweat it
AmE spoken used to tell someone not to worry about something
 Don't sweat it, I'll lend you the money.
no sweat
spoken used to say that you can do something easily
 'Are you sure you can do it on time?' 'Yeah, no sweat!'
So for me, book reports are no sweat.

keep one's `nose clean (infml
avoid doing anything unacceptable, illegal, etc 
If you keep your nose clean, the boss might promote you. 
If someone gets off the hook or is let off the hook, they manage to
 get out of the awkward or unpleasant situation that they are in. (INFORMAL)
Now I've just got to keep my nose clean for a while and I'll be off the hook.


liberate --- to free someone from feelings or conditions that make 
their life unhappy or difficult
It really hasn't been as bad as I thought and in fact it has been kind of liberating.


沒有留言: