2013年9月17日 星期二

Zack Files Book 14,15

There are a lot of things in this world I don't
understand, but two things stump me the most


The key-chain was broken and so tarnished it
looked almost black.
If a metal tarnishes or if something tarnishes it, it becomes stained and loses its brightness.

An auction is a public sale where goods are sold to the person who offers the highest price.

a polishing cloth
Polish is a substance that you put on the surface of an object in order to clean it, protect it, and make it shine.

reclining chair
When a seat reclines or when you recline it, you lower the back so that it is more comfortable to sit in.


Just let me change into more comfortable shoes.

batting stance
a position in which you stand, especially when playing a sport

"I have a big brisket to cook tomorrow. And that will
take nearly all day."
Brisket is a cut of beef that comes from the breast of the cow.

The pitcher adjusted the bill of his cap.
AmE the front part that sticks out on a hat such as a baseball cap


And then something grabbed me from behind!
  Yikes! I practically jumped out of my skin.
(=was very shocked or frightened) !


They were really, really
hairy, and they stank to high heaven.
stank to high heaven--Fig. to smell very bad.
What happened? This place stinks to high heaven.
This meat smells to high heaven. Throw it away!

I leave a roll of quarters right under the window of the
Neanderthal exhibit, so the gang can stock up on Cheez Doodles and Yoo-Hoo.

stock up phr v
to buy a lot of something in order to keep it for when you need to use it later


沒有留言: