2013年9月18日 星期三

Zack Files Book 17

"Sheer poppycock. Zack, I'm very disappointed in you. Coming in here and telling me such poppycock.
Senseless talk; nonsense.

But I'd steer clear of Mrs. Wolfowitz today if I were you.
to avoid something or someone because they are dangerous or bad for you
I'd steer clear of Joe if I were you - he'll only cause trouble.
I try to steer clear of heavy meals these days.


Mrs. Coleman-Levin was good enough to oblige us. What sort of problem are you having with Mrs. Wolfowitz?"
To oblige someone means to be helpful to them by doing what they have asked you to do.

"That's preposterous," he said. "Why on earth would

Mrs. Wolfowitz eat your homework?"
preposterous -- completely unreasonable or silly
= absurd

Vernon Manteuffel, the rich kid in our class who sweats
a lot. He's the biggest blabbermouth in school,
and he's always trying to get me in trouble.
blabbermouth -- informal someone who tells secrets because they always talk too much

I distinctly heard Spencer say that she was a werewolf.
distinctly    /dɪˈstɪŋktli/ adv clearly

hazy -- air that is hazy is not clear because there is a lot of smoke, dust, or mist in it

"W-we're making a d-documentary," said Spencer.
A documentary is a television or radio programme, or a film, which shows real events or provides information about a particular subject.

I skipped both homeroom and science class that day.
Another term for "truancy" is also "skipping class"

A few minutes later, we buzzed Mrs.
Coleman-Levin from the lobby of her building.
She didn't buzz back. She got on the intercom
instead.

We were ready for her. Mrs. Coleman-Levin found
an old hammock made of rope. We rigged it over the door.


"Far out," said Spencer.
"Remarkable," said Mrs. Coleman-Levin.
far out Slang Extremely unconventional

"Because you can take a wolf out of the woods," she said, "but you just can't take the wolf out of the teacher."
你可以把狼帶出森林,但是你不能改變它的本性。




沒有留言: