2013年9月18日 星期三

Zack Files Book 18

They took a Polaroid picture of me holding it. 
I took the picture to school and showed the guys in my homeroom. 
Everybody was impressed-everybody but Andrew Clancy.
A Polaroid camera is a small camera that can take, develop, and print a photograph in a few seconds.

Everyone was hoping Andrew Clancy might finally get
caught in one of his whoppers.
informal  a lie

The Space Shuttle was now embedded in the ceiling of the gym.
be embedded in sth --to put something firmly and deeply into something else, or to be put into something in this way

plainclothes policemen

And I have to tell you-I never solved a homicide case for him. 
homicide AmE
the police department that deals with murders

A sergeant is a non-commissioned officer of middle rank in the army, marines, or air force.

"He's shot twelve perps.said Andrew.
perpetrator formal
someone who does something morally wrong or illegal

interrogate   
to ask someone a lot of questions for a long time in order to get information, sometimes using threats

I actually thought we might have a shot at winning that hundred bucks.
have a chance

I dreaded to see what he'd come up with.
dread 
to feel anxious or worried about something that is going to happen or may happen

The components of something are the parts that it is made of.

Vernon was going to egg on Andrew to brag and lie until he couldn't get on the bike at all. 
egg on [egg sb⇔on] phr v
to encourage someone to do something, especially something that they do not want to do or should not do

my bathtub has a Jacuzzi. 按摩浴缸
"Big deal," said Andrew. "My bathroom has a sauna."
三溫暖

he thought he could pry Andrew out with a crowbar
If you pry something open or pry it away from a surface, you force it open or away from a surface.
crowbar -- a heavy iron bar used to lift something or force it open

A serum is a liquid that is injected into someone's blood to protect them against a poison or disease.

"I think Andrew would like to start telling the truth now. But he needshead start.
head start n [C]
an advantage that helps you to be successful

"My butt," Andrew said. "It's shrinking! It's shrinking
 big-time!"
big-time   Informal
adj. Significant or important; major: a bigtime comedian.
adv. To an extreme degree; very much: Sales are expanding, big-time.

stationary bike -- stationary bicycle (also known as exercise bicycleexercise bike)

labonza  -- the buttocks. Good grief, what a gross labonza!

And I know I'm a pain in the butt

pain in the ass and a pain in the butt
Fig. a very annoying thing or person.







沒有留言: